The Daily Moth 2-20-19

February 21, 2019

 

Hello, welcome to the Daily Moth! It is Wednesday, February 20. I’m at the DPAN studio in Detroit, Michigan. I’m here to visit the place and get to know the people here. They have a studio here, so I can still deliver news! Ready? 

 

———

 

American Woman Who Joined ISIS Wants To Return Home 

 

An American woman who left four years ago to be with ISIS fighters in Syria wants to come back to the U.S. and face justice. 

 

Her name is Hoda Muthana. USA Today explained that she left Alabama four years ago when she was 19. When she was there, she encouraged attacks against Americans and spread ISIS propaganda online. 

 

Muthana married a ISIS fighter, who died. She married a second ISIS fighter, who also died. She then married a third ISIS fighter and gave birth to a son, who is now 18 months old. That third husband is also dead. 

 

Muthana is with her son at a detention camp in northern Syria that is run by Kurdish forces. 

 

She, through a legal representative, said she realizes she made a mistake and wants to return to the USA to face justice, pay any debts she has to society, and to speak out against ISIS. 

 

Muthana wrote in a letter that she was changed by seeing the terrible effects of war, seeing men she married dying, and that Motherhood changed her. 

 

Her lawyer said she can leave the detention camp only if the U.S. government asks for her release. USA Today said they reached out to U.S. government officials but haven’t received a response. 

 

The New York Times reported that there is a second woman who also wants to come back home — she is Gwen Polman (46), who is a dual U.S.-Canadian citizen. 

 

———

 

Payless Files for Bankruptcy; To Close All Stores in U.S. and Canada 

 

Payless ShoeSource has filed for bankruptcy protection and plans to close all of its 2,500 stores in the U.S. and Canada in the next few months. 

 

The store has ended online sales and plans to start liquidation sales this week. Some stores will close by the end of March, but some will remain open until the end of May. 

 

Payless did file for bankruptcy protection in 2017 and managed to stay in business, but this time they will close for good. 

 

The store said they will accept gift cards and store credit up to March 11. 

 

Payless stores in other countries, outside of the U.S. and Canada will remain open. 

 

———

 

Political News Briefs: Justice Ginsburg Back on Bench; Trump Moves Forward With Space Force; California High-Speed Rail Controversy  

 

Here are three political news briefs. 

 

The first — Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was back on the bench yesterday after being out for 60 days because of lung cancer surgery. 

 

Ginsburg is a three-time cancer survivor and is the court’s oldest justice. She will be 86 next month. 

 

The cancer was discovered when doctors checked her fractured ribs after she fell in her office in November. Now Ginsburg appears to be recovering well. 

 

The second news — President Trump signed a directive to create the Space Force as the sixth armed service. Trump said he was put here for security, whether it’s Space Force or borders. 

 

The Space Force’s mission will be to monitor and protect the USA from space attacks. 

 

The White House is expected to ask for less than $100 million in seed money in their upcoming budget proposal. An undersecretary of defense for space will be named. The program will start as a division of the U.S. Air Force.

 

But before the Space Force can become a sixth branch of the military and receive funding, Congress has to approve it. 

 

The third news — Last week California’s new Governor Gavin Newsom (D) announced that the state would pull back on their ambitious goals of having high-speed rails connecting Sacramento to San Diego because it is estimated to cost as high as $77 billion. They will still still work on a rail between Merced to Bakersfield. 

 

President Trump and the Department of Transportation said they will cancel almost $1 billion in federal grants for California’s high-speed rail network and will explore legal options to take back $2.5 billion in funds already given.

 

Governor Newsom said the Trump administration’s move to take back $2.5 billion is political retribution and that they would fight to keep California’s money. 

 

———

 

Covington Student Sues Washington Post For $250 Million 

 

Lawyers for the family of Nicholas Sandmann has sued the Washington Post seeking $250 million in damages.  

 

Sandmann is the 16-year old Covington Catholic student who went viral after he stood face-to-face with a Native American drummer. The video sparked controversy. 

 

The lawsuit said the Post wrongfully targeted and bullied Sandmann because he was a white, Catholic student wearing a red “Make America Great Again” cap. 

 

The lawsuit said the Post ignored basic journalist standards and wanted to embarrass President Trump. 

 

The lawsuit said the Post caused permanent damage to Sandmann’s life and reputation. 

 

President Trump tweeted support for Sandmann and the lawsuit — he said, “Go get them Nick. Fake News!” 

 

A spokesperson for the Post said they plan a “vigorous defense.” 

 

The lawyers said this was only the first lawsuit — there will be more. They want $250 million because that’s what Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos paid when he bought it in 2013. 

 

https://www.wlwt.com/article/nick-sandmanns-lawyers-file-dollar250-million-lawsuit-against-washington-post/26417358

 

———

 

5-Minute Crafts Video Botches ASL and BSL 

 

Last Thursday, Facebook page “5-Minute Crafts,” which has over 60 million followers, posted a video of a woman teaching American Sign Language and British Sign Language — but many of the signs were either incorrect or mixed up ASL and BSL. 

 

The video had at least 1 million views and was shared over 12 thousand times.

 

This video enraged both ASL and BSL users at the time. 

 

There were many comments by both ASL and BSL users criticizing the video, saying it was cultural appropriation, that it was false news, or that  the teacher is obviously not a deaf fluent ASL and BSL user. 

 

Many asked it to be taken down, but it’s still up. 

 

The Daily Moth reached out to 5-Minute Crafts, but did not get a response. 

 

I saw that the post had a link — when I clicked on it, it took me to a page on www.brightside.me where it highlighted 7 people with disabilities. 

 

Nyle DiMarco was featured on the list. The website said “it’s hard to believe that this… man has some health problems,” “he cannot hear, even with the help of a hearing aid, but he reads lips perfectly.” 

 

So, it’s a problematic video post and website that botches ASL and BSL and frames deaf people as inferior. 

 

The post is still up. 

 

https://www.facebook.com/5min.crafts/videos/2112011985531469/

 

https://bit.ly/2SfsjJM

 

———

That is all for today. See you tomorrow and stay with the light! 

 

That is all for today. See you tomorrow and stay with the light! 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

WITH SUPPORT FROM

AND

NEW T-SHIRT & MUG.png

WITH SUPPORT FROM

AND

FOLLOW US

  • Facebook - Black Circle
  • Twitter - Black Circle
  • Instagram - Black Circle
  • YouTube - Black Circle

GET IN TOUCH

© 2017 The Daily Moth. All Rights Reserved.