Bernie Sanders To Run For President in 2020; Sixteen States Sue President Trump; Trump Warns Venezuelan Leader Maduro; Top Stories Briefs: Roger Stone Ordered to Court For Threatening Instagram Post; Mexican Man Dies While In Border Patrol Custody; UK Woman Receives Gene Therapy to Stop Blindness; Catholic Priests Accused of Sexually Abusing Deaf Children in Italy and Argentina
Bernie Sanders To Run For President in 2020
Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vt) announced he would run for president again in 2020.
He posted a video on Twitter that showed his vision of Medicare for all, free public college, action on climate change, and raising the minimum wage.
Bernie said in an interview today that he thinks Trump is a pathological liar, a racist, a sexist, a homophobe, and a xenophobe (against foreigners) who is getting cheap political points by trying to pick on minorities, often undocumented immigrants.
Bernie lost the race for the Democratic nomination to Hillary Clinton in 2016. He then endorsed her and campaigned with her.
Bernie is 77. If he wins the Democratic nomination next year, he would be the oldest nominee ever for a major political party.
Sixteen States Sue President Trump
California and 15 other states have banded together to sue President Trump for declaring a national emergency to build a border wall.
The lawsuit is asking federal judges in the 9th Circuit (Northern California) to rule that Trump can’t bypass Congress to fund the wall.
President Trump said he already predicted this. In his speech on Friday declaring the national emergency, Trump predicted a lawsuit and said the Supreme Court would side with him.
Trump Warns Venezuelan Leader Maduro
Venezuela's President Maduro has ordered a blockade at the border with Colombia. American military has airlifted tons of emergency supplies — food and medicine — that is waiting at the border in Colombia.
Yesterday President Trump gave a speech in Miami where he warned that the Venezuelan military would lose everything if they maintained their loyalty to Maduro over the U.S. backed opposition leader Juan Guadio.
Trump said the military has to support Guadio and let the supplies in, or they would find no safe harbor, no easy exit, and no way out.
Maduro responded in a televised speech that Trump was speaking in an almost Nazi style. Maduro said who is the commander of the armed forces, Donald Trump from Miami?
Senator Marco Rubio (R-Fla) visited the border a few days ago to bring more attention to the supplies and put pressure on Maduro.
British billionaire Richard Branson is planning an aid concert at the Venezuelan-Colombian border. Maduro’s government said they would also host a concert, on the other side.
Top Stories Briefs: Roger Stone Ordered to Court For Threatening Instagram Post; Mexican Man Dies While In Border Patrol Custody
Here are two top stories briefs.
The first — Roger Stone posted a threatening image on Instagram of the federal judge overseeing his criminal case. The image showed the judge’s face with crosshairs in the corner.
In the post, Stone wrote that the judge, Amy Berman Jackson, was appointed by Obama and suggested that she would be biased against him because she was easy on Hillary Clinton and because she ordered Paul Manafort to be jailed during his trial.
Stone later deleted the image and wrote an official apology to the court with his signature on it.
Judge Jackson ordered Stone to appear in federal court in Washington, D.C. on Thursday to explain why the conditions of his release should not be modified. She is asking him to explain himself.
Stone was charged by Special Counsel Mueller last month with lying to Congress about his contacts with Wikileaks and Donald Trump’s campaign.
The second news — U.S. Border Patrol officials said a 45-year old Mexican man under their custody recently died at a hospital in McAllen, Texas. His name and cause of death is unknown.
He was taken in custody on February 2 for illegal re-entry and was taken to the hospital the day after. He was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and congestive heart failure and he died.
It is the third time in three months that a person died while in Border Patrol custody. The first two were children, a 7-year old girl from Guatemala and a 8-year old boy, also from Guatemala.
UK Woman Receives Gene Therapy to Stop Blindness
BBC News reported that a UK woman, Janet Osborne (80), became the first person in the world to receive gene therapy to try and halt age-related macular degeneration.
This is the most common form of blindness in the Western world. Osborne said she has difficulty recognizing faces with her left eye because her central vision is blurred.
Surgeons injected a synthetic gene in a virus in the back of the woman’s eye to halt more cells from dying.
The lead researcher hopes this treatment will help preserve vision in people who would otherwise lose their sight.
Catholic Priests Accused of Sexually Abusing Deaf Children in Italy and Argentina
The Washington Post released a long, investigative report about Catholic priests who were accused by deaf survivors of sexually abusing them when they were children in Argentina and Italy.
The alleged abuses happened at the Antonio Provolo Institute — there are several schools with this name, with the original one in Verona, Italy, and the others in Argentina.
The center of this case is an Italian priest, Nicola Corradi. He was arrested and charged with sex crimes in Argentina in 2016 after police raided the institute. Corradi is facing a judge next month.
Thirteen other suspects who used to work at the institute are facing charges. A 14th person was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
Prosecutors said in the children were fondled, raped, sometimes tied up, and that one child was forced to wear a diaper to hide the bleeding.
Sign language was banned at the schools, depriving children of communication.
The institutes in Italy and Argentina are either closed or no longer serve deaf students. Corradi worked at the Italy institute in the 1960’s then moved to Argentina in 1970 where he continued to work with deaf children.
The abuses at the school in Italy happened between the 1950’s and 1980’s according to 15 former students and survivors in Italy. They said 24 priests, including Corradi, abused them.
The survivors informed a local bishop in 2008 about the abuses, but the bishop said the survivors were lying.
The former students responded by filing a defamation lawsuit against the bishop. This led to the Vatican and the local bishop appointing a retired judge to conduct an investigation.
The investigator said most of the stories were probably true, but doubted the story of a deaf Italian survivor, Gianni Bisoli, who said priest Corradi sexually abused him several times. This was doubted.
The Post said the Vatican punished only one priest and warned three other priests.
This allowed Corradi to continue having an authority role over deaf children at schools in Argentina.
A deaf survivor from Argentina said when he was 7 years old in 1998, Corradi raped him again and again for five years.
Survivors in Argentina said Corradi’s abuses continued up to 2016 and that he allowed other priests and staff to abuse children.
One survivor informed a state senator in Argentina in November 2016 about the abuses. Two days later, police raided the school and found pornography and letters that showed that leaders were invovled with sexual abuse.
Corradi is currently under house arrest somewhere in Argentina and hasn’t entered a plea. He faces six counts of aggravated abuse. A representative said he believes he is innocent.
There is currently a separate and ongoing investigation ordered by the Vatican.
The Post explained that in October 2015, 20 Italian people, most of them deaf survivors of abuse at the school in Verona, went to the Vatican to try and meet Pope Francis.
Two of them were invited to meet the Pope. They gave him a letter listing 14 names of alleged abusers who are still alive and who they felt were unpunished.
A Vatican photographer took an image of the encounter.
The man shaking hands with the Pope is deaf and a survivor — his name is Giuseppe Consiglio. The envelope that the Pope is holding includes the name of the priest who allegedly abused him. The letter also includes Corradi’s name. This was in 2015.
The woman is Lodi Rizzini, who spoke with her voice to inform the Pope that Consiglio is a victim and that the letter is from all victims.
Consiglio said he remembers the Pope handing the letter to someone else without opening it. He touched both of them on the head to bless them, and asked them to pray for him.
The article concluded that Pope Francis, who is from Argentina, and other church leaders, did not take action against the priests named in the letter.
There were several news articles about the Provolo abuses over the past few years.
One of the reports was about a Japanese nun who worked in a school in Argentina. She was arrested and charged in May 2017 for abusing deaf children and picking which ones she would bring to priests for them to sexually abuse.
Another report by The Daily Beast, published last fall, said prosecutors in Verona have named 67 people who said they were abused at the Provolo institute and plans to bring this case to a trial this year. This is in Italy.
In the transcript, there is a link to an investigative video produced by Fanpage about the abuses. It has captions. It includes an interview with the only priest who was punished after the 1998 investigation in Italy, the priest’s name is Don Piccoli. He, while lying on a bed, admitted that he sexually abused children and said that it was common and frequent among priests.
Video by Fanpage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFDqSuUOLR8
Gallaudet University: [gallaudet.edu]